They Came To Play, a documentary about the 2009 Van Cliburn Competition, the process and the winners.
Sometimes, life comes between us and our dreams. And sometimes, we are fortunate enough to be reunited.
Multi-award winning THEY CAME TO PLAY focuses on the International Piano Competition for Outstanding Amateurs (hosted by the Van Cliburn Foundation), which gathers together 75 of the world s best amateur pianists for one week of intense competition and camaraderie. Candid interviews offer a glimpse into the lives of the competitors, who come from a wide variety of backgrounds and professions. All have struggled to balance their music and their ordinary lives some overcoming extraordinary challenges and now, all hope to make years of dedication pay off in the performance of a lifetime.
Overflowing with the talent and enthusiasm of the competitors and with the sound of their spectacular music, THEY CAME TO PLAY reminds us all of the passion that burns within us.
Find it now on Amazon
Classical Chops - Oct 11, 2014 | DVDs, Home Highlights, Media Shelf, Peformance, Performance Highlights
Tagged | classical music, classical musicians, performers, pianist, piano competition, Van Cliburn competition, Van Cliburn Foundation
Check Out More:
- Gabriel Kahane: Advice for Young Composers
- Violinist Nigel Armstrong: On Practicing
- Maestro or Mephisto: The Real George Solti
- Midori: On Stage Fright
- Alisa Weilerstein: On Practicing
- Chester Englander: Plays Stravinsky
- Nigel Armstrong: Tips on Preparing an Audition
- Nigel Armstrong: Stage Fright
- Alisa Weilerstein: Her Cello
- eighth blackbird: Looking for New Music
Advice & Lessons
- Christophe Beck: Did You Ever Get Discouraged?
- Lang Lang gives a Master Class in Piano
- Gabriel Kahane: Why Composing?
- Christophe Beck: Differences Between TV and Film Composition
- Christophe Beck: Interest in Electronic Music
- Wagner And Film Music
- Classical composer Nico Muhly: Advice on Frustration
- Christophe Beck: Challenges as a Young Musician
- Acclaimed Mezzo-Soprano Joyce Di Donato
- “Mastering Creative Anxiety” Eric Maisel
Inspiration & Creativity
- Singer/songwriter Gabriel Kahane: Parents
- Gabriel Kahane: Mentors
- Cellist Alisa Weilerstein’s Inspirations
- “From the Stage to the Studio: How Fine Musicians Become Great Teachers”
- “Gustavo Dudamel in El Sistema: Music to Change Life”
- “Creativity for Life”; Eric Maisel
- Chester Englander: Musical Mentors
- The Transformative Power of Classical Music
- Emmy Award winning film composer Christophe Beck: Mentors
- Great pianist Martha Argerich Shares