They Came To Play, a documentary about the 2009 Van Cliburn Competition, the process and the winners.
Sometimes, life comes between us and our dreams. And sometimes, we are fortunate enough to be reunited.
Multi-award winning THEY CAME TO PLAY focuses on the International Piano Competition for Outstanding Amateurs (hosted by the Van Cliburn Foundation), which gathers together 75 of the world s best amateur pianists for one week of intense competition and camaraderie. Candid interviews offer a glimpse into the lives of the competitors, who come from a wide variety of backgrounds and professions. All have struggled to balance their music and their ordinary lives some overcoming extraordinary challenges and now, all hope to make years of dedication pay off in the performance of a lifetime.
Overflowing with the talent and enthusiasm of the competitors and with the sound of their spectacular music, THEY CAME TO PLAY reminds us all of the passion that burns within us.
Find it now on Amazon
Classical Chops - Oct 11, 2014 | DVDs, Home Highlights, Media Shelf, Peformance, Performance Highlights
Tagged | classical music, classical musicians, performers, pianist, piano competition, Van Cliburn competition, Van Cliburn Foundation
Check Out More:
- Chester Englander: Stage Fright and Memorization
- eighth blackbird: Audience Response to Their Music
- eighth blackbird: Advice for Young Musicians
- eighth blackbird: Music They Listen to
- Gabriel Kahane: Advice for Young Composers
- Chester Englander: Audition Tips
- Violinist Nigel Armstrong: On Practicing
- Itzhak Perlman Talks Violin Technique
- Christophe Beck: Practicing at an Early Age
- Pianist Jonathan Biss:Beethoven’s Shadow
Advice & Lessons
- Christophe Beck: What’s a Cue?
- Danny Lux: TV Composing Schedule
- Morten Lauridsen: Why Choral Composition?
- Every Good Boy Does Fine
- Danny Lux: What’s a Cue?
- Nico Muhly: How Does a Composer Choose a Text or Lyric
- Christophe Beck: What Makes a Great Film Score?
- Danny Lux: Creating a Style for TV
- Gabriel Kahane: Why Composing?
- Gabriel Kahane: Cello Sonata
Inspiration & Creativity
- Gabriel Kahane: Mentors
- “Two Hands: The Leon Fleisher Story”
- “Gustavo Dudamel in El Sistema: Music to Change Life”
- Cellist Alisa Weilerstein’s Inspirations
- “Creativity for Life”; Eric Maisel
- Chester Englander: Musical Mentors
- “From the Stage to the Studio: How Fine Musicians Become Great Teachers”
- “Vision” a portrait of Hildegard von Bingen
- Great pianist Martha Argerich Shares
- Classical Contemporary Composer Nico Muhly talks about his Juilliard Composition Teachers Christopher Rouse and John Corigliano